People have always think that blogging is easy, but doesn’t give you any sort of worthy income. In truth, blogging can have you earning quite a bit of money- if it’s done right. When you start off your blog in the beginning, you’re not going to make any money of course. In that light, here are 5 things you need to know to monetize your blog in Malaysia.
1. Make Your Website and Decide On A Theme For It
A slight disclaimer: This guide will reference WordPress quite a bit, as WordPress is used by blogging beginners everywhere. Any other platform is fine still, it’s basically your own personal preference.
During the early stages of your blogging career, there is one question you will need to ask yourself: Should I buy a domain name? The answer to this question is completely up to you. If you do start out going for the free domain name, you will have fewer customization options and functions so if you’re the kind of person who likes to go all in, there are hosting plans that will cater to your needs, if you want to start at a low cost or if you simply want to put all your eggs in one basket.
Another question you should ponder on is whether to purchase a website theme. There are different themes available for use, depending on the kind of blog that you’re going to run, be it photography blog, news blog, fashion blog, etc. WordPress is stacked with a lot of free themes so either take your pick of the free ones, or buy a theme for yourself, if it’s in your budget/plans. You don’t want to buy a theme and (god forbid) have to stop doing your blog, right? So make sure you want to work on your blog for a long time, dedication is key, you know.
2. Stock Up Your Blog With Tons Of Content
You should have your idea for the theme of your blog by now so get cracking and fill up your website with the related content. It is important to take note that one of the reasons that blogs take off and do so well, or rather better than other blogs, is because of the niche category the blog is about.
Concentrating on one type of niche in the beginning will attract the targeted readers that you want. On the other hand, if you post about everything such as fashion, your daily meals, etc, you may not get much traffic. How do you increase traffic? By making content that helps and/or entertains people. People will read any sort of blog if it provides the answers they’re looking for.
Focus your efforts on that one niche first, and maybe expand after getting a loyal reader base. Then we can talk about monetizing your blog in Malaysia.
3. Enhance Your Website To Oblivion
You need to keep your blog in tip-top shape, no matter how long you’ve been blogging for. Especially if you’re looking to monetize your blog. And if you’re working on WordPress, or even if you aren’t, these pointers will help you:
- Install plugins
- Educate yourself on SEO and make it a part of your blogging routine
- Have a consistent posting schedule
- Make sure your blog has a set format that follows your theme
- Quality updates: Write, re-write, edit and proofread your posts
- Equip your blog with a directory
- Set up a Facebook page, a Twitter profile and an Instagram account to keep in touch with your followers
- Like I said, keep in touch with your followers
There’s a lot of hard work and dedication that would have to be pumped in to a blog and these are just some of them. These are the bare bone pointers that will help you in the beginning.
Here’s a little info about the plugins you can input from WordPress for your blog:
- Akismet Anti-Spam
- Custom Share Buttons with Floating Sidebar
- Google Analytics
- Pixabay Images
- W3 Total Cache
- WP Smush
- Yoast SEO
4. Once You Start Seeing A Consistent Amount Of Traffic, Start Pumping Money Into Your Blog
This is the reason why it’s advisable to start off easy with expenses when it comes to blogging. The harsh truth is, not every blog is going to take off as fast or as effectively as some other ones, which is why you need to be careful.
Once your blog starts to pick up a considerable amount of traffic, start spending money on it to improve the quality of the website so that people will keep coming back for more.
Here are some pointers to help you out:
- Invest in a Web Hosting service (There are a lot of great Web Hosting services out there, do some research to see which one would suit you the best)
- Get a premium theme for your website. Your website reflects your personality so have fun with it
- Hire a Graphic Designer to help out with your blog header
- Invest in Facebook Ads if need be
- Hire a WordPress professional so that you don’t have to worry about website loading times
- Keep up with the status of your website with Customization Reports
Once you’ve got these down pat, you can rest easy knowing that you’ve done a lot to make your customers experience as best as it can be.
5. Make Sure You Play Around With And Pick Good Revenue Streams To Help Monetize Your Blog
When it’s time for you to look to other revenue streams, to start promoting and selling the influence that you have amassed. After all, the reason you started this is to monetize your blog right? Well, have a look at these options to see which would work best for you:
- Affiliate Marketing
- Google Adsense
- Sell Banner Ads
- Sponsored Post
- Sell your writing and consultancy services
If you can, try reaching out to companies when it comes to selling your products and/or services instead of your readers. This way, you can increase your earnings from ads.
Making money from blogging is tough, but not impossible, and can be quite prosperous. All it requires is a bit of determination, patience and let’s face it, a bit of luck. If creating, managing and making your blog a success is your passion, don’t be afraid and go for it.